Coronavirus - Ireland Tours - Book with Peace of Mind find out more
Leinster House also known as the House of the Oireachtas (Tithe an Oireachtais) is the seat of the two Houses of the Oireachas( the National Parliament) encompassing of Dáil Eireann (The house of Representatives) and the Seanad Eireann (The Senate).
Leinster House is steeped in history; it was originally known as Kildare House after James Fitzgerald the Earl of Kildare who commissioned it to be built in 1745. He wanted the building to reflect his position in society so set about building the stateliest of all of the Dublin Georgian Mansions. When he became the Duke of Leinster it was re-named to Leinster House.
It is claimed it was modelled on the White House, the residence of the President of the United States. In 1815 the Third Duke of Leinster sold the mansion to the Royal Dublin Society (RDS) for 10,000 pounds together with a yearly rent of 600 pounds. Among those public Irish Institutions that owe their beginnings to the RDS include, National Library, National Museum and the National Botanic Gardens.
After the founding of the Irish Free State in 1922 the government secured Leinster House as seat of the parliament.