Situated on the northern side of the town of Manorhamilton on the R280 road, just to the north of the main Sligo to Enniskillen road, is a seventeenth century plantation castle. The castle is situated on a local high point and enclosed on the eastern side by a tributary of the Owenmore River.
The history of Manorhamilton Castle is interwoven with the overall history of Ireland and Northern Ireland in particular. Manorhamilton Castle was built between 1634 and 1638 by Sir Frederick Hamilton, a Scotsman and British courtier, who had been granted land in this area of Leitrim in 1621. In 1974 the Elliott family sold their interest in the Castle to Frank O’Rourke who remained in possession of the Estate until July 1993 when it was acquired by the present owners, Anthony and Maura Daly.
Manorhamilton Castle and Heritage Centre is open all the year round to the general public and organised tours. On display is a permanent exhibition including artefacts from the 17th century, replica period costumes & furniture, a Castle model and other interesting items & information. A tour of the recently restored Castle ruins and grounds can be taken – conducted by an experienced guide. The colourful story of the Castle, it’s inhabitants and the local area will be recounted in the course of this informative and enjoyable tour.