Coronavirus - Ireland Tours - Book with Peace of Mind find out more
Mount Stuart House on the east coast of the Isle of Bute, Scotland, is a Neo-Gothic country house with extensive gardens. It has been described as an architectural masterpiece and one of the world's great houses. Mount Stuart was designed by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson for the 3rd Marquess of Bute in the late 1870s, to replace an earlier house by Alexander McGill, which burnt down in 1877.
The original house was built in 1719 by the 2nd Earl of Bute, but rebuilt by the 3rd Marquess of Bute following a fire on 3 December 1877. After his earlier creations of Cardiff Castle and Castell Coch in Cardiff, the Marquess imported many of the builders and workman he had already used in South Wales. The main part of the present house is a flamboyant example of 19th century Gothic Revival architecture built in a reddish brown stone. Mount Stuart's major features include the colonnaded Marble Hall at the centre of the main block and the Marble Chapel, which has an elaborate spired tower which is the tallest part of the building (not visible on photo right). Two earlier wings in a strikingly different style survive. They are much smaller in scale, have Georgian style sash windows and are painted white.
Much of the furniture was custom-designed for the house by Robert Weir Schultz in the early years of the 20th century. He also laid out many sections of the gardens. The Mount Stuart House contains the world's first heated pool in any house and was the first home in Scotland to be lit by electricity. During the First World War the house was volunteered by the Augusta Lady Bute to the Admiralty for use as a Naval Hospital. The hospital operated from 1915–1919 and the Lord and Lady Bute were recognized by the Admiralty for their generous contributions.